Norwegian Cruise Line — which is one of the cruise lines which generally sails to Bermuda — has announced their “enhanced health and safety protocols” which they said include installation of medical-grade air-filters, enhanced pre-embarkation health screening, fogging in staterooms and public areas with the disinfectant hypochlorous acid and more.
Cruises are currently suspended, and the date of resumption is unclear at this time, however Norwegian Cruise Line has indicated, via offering Bermuda cruises on their website for later this year, that they intend to resume sailing to the island when it is viable to do so.
The company said, “We’re going the extra mile to ensure your safety on board and on shore. With Norwegian’s Peace of Mind, you can cruise safely with enhanced health and safety protocols and flexible booking. Feel Free to change plans as needed and feel confident knowing that we’re looking out for your health and safety.
New Enhanced Health & Safety Protocols
“The health, safety, and comfort of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We’re enhancing our already robust health and safety measures so you can continue exploring the world with the ultimate Peace of Mind.
Enjoy Our Flexible Cancellation Policy
“For all cruises through November 30, cancel up to 48 hours prior to your holiday start date and receive a Future Cruise Credit for sailings through December 2022.
Health & Safety Measures to Ensure We Sail Safe
“We have been working closely with the CDC [Centre for Disease Control and Prevention] and are adding stringent protocols, strategic application and supporting innovation to meet and exceed their standards once those have been finalized by them. The below are the safety measures we will immediately be implementing fleetwide, with more in development.
All-New Air Filtration
“Installation of medical-grade air-filters, H13 HEPA, that remove 99.95% of airborne pathogens across our entire fleet to ensure the air you breathe is clean.
Replace Existing Filters With H13 HEPA filters – Medical Grade
- “H13 HEPA is one of the highest grades of particulate air filter, removing 99.95% of all particulates 0.1 microns or larger. For comparison purposes, COVID-19 is 0.125 microns [25% larger], a single blood cell is 10 microns [10,000% larger] and a single human hair is 75 microns [75,000% larger].
Enhanced Screening Protocols
“All guests will undergo an enhanced pre-embarkation health screening, and those considered at risk will undergo additional screening. Additionally, all crew will undergo extensive screening prior to embarkation and constant monitoring throughout the voyage. Touchless temperature checks and continuous monitoring of guests and crew throughout the voyage will help identify potential health issues, offering an additional layer of prevention and protection.
- Touchless temperature checks will occur:
- Prior to embarkation
- Upon returning to the ship from a port of call
- Prior to all meals in dining venues
- Prior to all activities in public venues
- Prior to disembarkation
“A healthy crew helps ensure healthy guests. Constant monitoring of crew health includes temperature checks multiple times per day as well as rigid sanitation protocols
“We’re enhancing our existing Pre-Employment Medical Examination process, which already screens for a wide variety of infectious diseases, to ensure the health and safety of our crew. We’re exploring on board testing capabilities that will allow crew members to undergo the latest, most advanced form of COVID-19 testing at any time throughout their employment contract
Increased Sanitation Measures
“All ships are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected prior to every voyage in accordance with company protocols, which are developed in partnership with CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Programme. Embarkation terminals will be sanitized continuously, and, where possible, fogged before and after each embarkation and debarkation. Further, all staterooms, suites and public areas will be cleaned, sanitized and disinfected at an increased frequency, and including the use of Electrostatic Spray Technology. Increased sanitation efforts include:
HOCl Fogging In Staterooms & Public Areas
- “Fogging in staterooms and public areas with the disinfectant hypochlorous acid [HOCI]. Hypochlorous acid is a non-toxic, powerful oxidant that effectively kills bacteria, spores, and viruses. It is natural and safe to use in open areas since it is comprised of natural elements such as water and salt, and electric charge.
Increased frequencies of cleaning
- “Our 24/7 prevention schedule will feature continuous disinfection of public areas and high-traffic touch points. We will ensure that cleaning occurs continuously for all elevators and all public areas during on and off-peak hours.
Full Service Buffets
- “Buffets and beverage stations will be full service with staff available to serve guests.
- “All guests will be strongly encouraged to engage in frequent handwashing, including when entering food and beverage venues, and hand sanitizer will be prominently placed and easily accessible throughout the ship.
Responsible Social Distancing
“To provide even more space for responsible social distancing, guest capacity on board will be reduced. Staggered embarkation and online check-in will be implemented for proper social distancing. In addition, we are committed to reducing capacity in all public areas throughout the voyage.
Online check-in and staggered embarkation
- “We continue to work with port and government authorities to determine procedures that are in accordance with CDC and global health agencies’ guidance, to implement protocols that allow for proper social distancing during the embarkation process, including staggered embarkation and advanced check-in procedures.
Social Distancing Onboard
- “All onboard activities will still be available, although operated at a reduced capacity, and in some cases, slightly modified in order to ensure safe social distancing. We’ll take necessary precautions and follow applicable public health guidelines to ensure guest health and safety, which is our highest priority at all times.
Enhanced Medical Resources
“Onboard medical centres will be fully equipped with the latest testing kits and medical supplies. We are also increasing our medical team fleetwide. Additionally, each ship has dedicated isolation accommodation should the need arise.
- Testing kits and medical supplies include:
- Advanced on-site rapid diagnostic testing for COVID-19
- Increased inventory of medical oxygen equipment
- Increased inventory of vaccinations
- Increased inventory of medication to treat COVID-19
- “Enhanced health and safety trainings and continued education for crew members
- “We will begin to introduce a newly created onboard position of Public Health Officer, responsible for the oversight of all sanitation and outbreak prevention initiatives. Additionally, they will monitor the day-to-day cleanliness of all public areas and accommodation, maintaining compliance with the CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Programme.
Extended Ship To Shore Safety
- “We’re partnering with our local destinations and tour operators to ensure our industry-leading health and sanitation protocols extend to the shoreside experience.
- “We will only visit safe, open ports of call which may cause changes to your itinerary. Keeping our guests up-to-date with the latest confirmed changes impacting their itineraries is a top priority.
“At Norwegian Cruise Line, we are ever-evolving our safe cruising programme. Because your health and safety is our priority. This is just the start of a wave of new technologies and enhancements we are rolling out, so that you can explore the world with the ultimate Peace of Mind.
“Read our full Health & Safety FAQs.”